Charles Bridge (Karlův most) is a 14th century stone bridge linking the two sides of Prague. This magnificent structure, one of the city’s finest attractions, is the main pedestrian route connecting the Old Town with the Lesser Town / Prague Castle.
King Charles IV commissioned the bridge. The foundation stone was laid in 1357. Charles IV’s favourite architect and builder, Peter Parler, oversaw the majority of the work. The initial idea was to build a functional construction for knight tournaments, and for many years the only decoration on the bridge was a simple crucifix. Later, the Catholic desire for ornamentation resulted in 30 statues being erected between 1600 and 1800.
The castle buildings span centuries and consists of a royal palace, a cathedral and three churches, a basilica, a monastery, defensive towers, royal stables, a minute lane where craftsmen worked and magnificent gardens. Prague Castle commenced as a wooden fortress with earthen bulwarks in the 9th century; by the 11th century, it included a royal palace and the 14th century visually perceived the commencement of St. Vitus Cathedral. The cathedral in the castle intricate is a jewel in Prague’s crown, a superb example of Gothic architecture.
Address: Castle District
Old town square
Old Town Square is often bursting with tourists and locals. The Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) is one of two main squares in Prague (Wenceslas Square is the other, just 5 minutes walk away). At the centre of the Old Town Square is the Jan Hus statue, erected on the 6th July 1915 to mark the 500th anniversary of the reformer’s death. The groundswell of fortification for his notions during the 14th and 15th centuries led to the Hussite wars.
Address: Old Town
The Spanish Synagogue was built in 1868 on the site of the oldest Prague Jewish house of prayer (“the Old Shul”). It was designed in a Moorish style by Vojtěch Ignátz Ullmann. Its interior, including the stained glass windows, were designed by the architects A. Baum and B. Munzberg, and consummated in 1893.
The Spanish Synagogue has a customary square plan with a sizably voluminous dome surmounting the central space. On three sides are galleries which open onto the nave. The remarkable interior adornment features a low stucco arabesque of stylized Islamic motifs which are withal applied to the walls, doors and gallery balustrades.
Prague Zoo is a few kilometres outside the city centre, but fairly facile to get to by public convey. There are 5000 animals and 650 species at the zoo, well organised over 69 hectares. The grounds stretch from a lush river valley up a steep, rocky escarpment to rolling meadows. The views at the summit are spectacular.
Animals range from penguins, sea lions, lions, tigers and elephants to Markhor and Ibex – superbly held in mountain enclosures. Camelopards additionally have an astronomically immense valley to roam through.
Address: U Trojskeho zamku
Old Town Hall Tower & Astronomical Clock
Old Town Square is Prague’s astronomical clock, an intricate, antediluvian “orloj” that reveals Babylonian time, Old Bohemian time, German time and sidereal time, as well as sunrise and sunset, phases of the moon and the sun’s position in the zodiac. Crafted in 1410 by a clockmaker and an edifier of mathematics, the clock has been rehabilitated and maintained for over 600 years, making it the third oldest clock in the world. The figures of the Apostles, which are shown in the two upper windows every hour, were integrated in 1865. When the clock strikes the hour, bells ring, the Walk of the Apostles commences, the Gothic sculptures move, a cock crows and a trumpeter blast sets off a tourist-gratifying show, a visual perception everyone should visually perceive at least once.
Address: Old Town Square
Dancing House was constructed between 1992-1996. It has daring, curvy outlines, which led its architects Vlado Milunic and the American Frank Owen Gehry to initially name it the “Fred and Ginger Building”, after the legendary dance duo.
The top floor of Dancing House is the only part of the building open to the public,
Address: Jiraskovo namesti
The National Museum is built on the site of the former Horse Gate, so named because Wenceslas Square once served as the main Prague horse market.
Its entrance hall is grand, with sweeping staircases and intricate stonework. There are also beautiful frescos on the ceilings
Address: Wenceslas square