The city was one of the paramount centers of Jewish culture in Moravia. Pristinely the Basilica of St. Prokop was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but because of the total devastation during several wars the building was utilized for more than two hundred years for pristinely secular purposes. After renovation the basilica was dedicated to St. Prokop and was utilized by the church once more. One of the most valuable components of the basilica is the crypt with its pristine, over 700 years old timber ceiling. The current interior of the basilica is the work of Kamil Hilbert in 1924 – 1935.